Last weekend I did another inspection – #7 since receiving my bees in January this year. The last two I have enticed the entire family into helping so I can concentrate on just the hive. So I have one person with me just on standby, I have one of the kids taking photos, and one taking notes. It was 18 degrees, and the bees were very active. I did it at about 2pm. My bees are so calm that I can’t possibly imagine one ever stinging me – however I know it’s going to happen one day. I’ve just been lucky. I’ve been thinking about getting an epi-pen as none of know if we are allergic. My mum is, so I’m somewhat curious to see my own reaction.
We found the queen on frame 4 busy as anything. We saw lots of babies. We saw drone cells (which I had to check on friendly forums if they were queen or drone cells not having seen either up close before. ) I forgot (!) – and this I embarrassed about – to check for any pest like mites. I will go out today and pull out the bottom board to have a look. There were a couple of ugly german cockroaches and a couple of native cockroaches. The two end frames were still empty (these are foundation less). There doesn’t even appear to be a hint of new foundation being made. I am thinking of wiring up foundation on to two new frames and replacing them to give the bees a helping hand. Most frames where fairly active but not overflowing. I will be really keen to see the population build up over the next few months. I am thinking at this point I may be putting the Flow super on around February – but that’s a very basic guess from what I have been gathering over the last 9 months.
See some pics below of the inspection. (including a a comparison pic from an early inspection to now of the same frame)