I had some old cast iron chairs from a New Zealand theatre – that I’ve had for 30 years. I’m guessing they are nearing over 100 years old. I bought them intact – but as i’ve left them outdoors for the past 10 years, they have slowly rotted to the point only the cast iron frames remain. The guilt associated with this rotting corpse of history in our hidden part of the garden was getting too much. So this morning I decided to upcycle them into a bee bath that will be situated near the bee garden I am slowly growing. The hardest part was calculating the format of the little piece of wood I was placing in the middle of it all. This involved borrowing a 60 degree protractor from family member. Drawing a lot of diagrams and mockups. Finally I ended up with a 6 sided shape perfectly angled. I screwed it in to existing frame work just to keep it reasonably steady – but to be honest the whole thing was standing on it’s own if balanced just right.
I present you – The Bee Bath.