I haven’t updated all Summer! I can’t believe it. I thought I had, but it appears not.
Now let’s see. I had a disaster with my nuc hive in November. I had put it on the wrong slope and the water wasn’t draining, and it was a putrid disgusting stinking mess when I opened up the hive for the first time after installing the nuc. The base of the hive was full of muddy water with disgusting larvae etc lapping it up. I was able to clean it out and rectify the slope (stupid rookie error) so the water drained out it’s front entry where the bees fly in. The resulting situation was that my hive had a disease known as chalk brood. And I’m making a pretty calculated guess that it was because of the dampness from the pooling mess that was there for weeks. However! The bees seem pretty happy, and they have multiplied by their 1000’s and they seem to have dealt with it on their own. I felt terrible, as if they haven’t got enough hard work to do. – So that’s hive number 2.
Hive number 1. *numero uno, flow hive – update. After putting the ideal frame on it back in Spring, the bees have been busy building comb on every frame, however there was a lot of “cross comb” when the bees build comb across to the next frame. – That’s not what you want. You want perfectly straight down comb. Today I went in and did a heap of careful surgery to separate and cut out unwanted parts. I harvested a frame as well, which was fully capped and I’m hoping this will allow them to rebuild. It was pretty full in there. The Flow Super on top is partially full on every frame. Frame 2 is about 95% full and I will harvest some honey from that tomorrow.
Below are pics of my disaster hive #2, and my honeycomb harvesting from today.